The bridge of one of the songs on my new album is *begging* for a chorus of humanity — and that means YOU. It’s about our collective experience during the Covid 19 pandemic, and I would be honored if you – all of you! – would submit a brief, harmony vocal track to be added to the final mix. I need as many voices as possible!
This can easily be done with a smart phone, and everyone who provides a track will get a backing vocal credit on the album! The deadline is AUGUST 15, 2022.
INSTRUCTIONS TO PARTICIPATE
1. Please go to this Google Drive folder and download the demo track corresponding to the part you’d like to sing — soprano, alto, tenor, or baritone/bass. There is also a sheet music score in this folder for each of the parts if needed.
2. Listen to and learn the part, so you can sing it confidently along with the demo track. Please note that you should try to match the vocal in the demo track you choose as closely as possible in pitch and timing. Here are the bridge lyrics:
There is too much grief
We need some relief
Hold me close, I’ll try to cry
In this tender place
In your sweet embrace
Hold me close, my eyes are dry
3. When you are ready, record your vocal track. The idea is to record *just* your voice without the demo track being audible, so the vocal track you create can be mixed into the song. You can record your vocal track in one of the following ways:
a. You can also record your contribution on your Smartphone using a voice recording app such as the Voice Memo app by Apple on the iPhone, or a third party app such as Easy Voice Recorder by Digipom for Android phones. You’ll need a set of headphones or earbuds plugged into/connected to a computer to listen to the demo track while you sing into the voice recording app on your phone.
- Open the voice recording app on your phone.
- Start a recording on the voice recording app on your phone.
- Play the demo track on your computer through your headphones or earbuds.
- Holding the phone as if you are making a phone call (this orients the phone microphone for optimal reception), sing along with the demo track played from the computer through your headphones or earbuds, singing into your phone and into the voice recording app.
- When you are completely finished singing along to the demo track, stop the recording on the voice recording app on your phone.
- Export or Share to your computer or phone the vocal track file you made using your voice recording app. It will likely be either an .mp3 or an .m4a file.
b. If you have the technical know-how and equipment, feel free to use any music creation computer software such as Garageband and your computer’s built-in microphone, or a USB microphone, for example.
- Import the demo track
- While listening to the demo track through headphones or earbuds, record a separate vocal track containing *just* your vocal.
- Please do not add any effects to your track.
- Export *just* the vocal track you create (without the demo track) as a .wav (best), .mp3 or .m4a file.
4. Email your vocal track to me at email@example.com with the subject line “McKiely’s Song Harmony”. Please be sure to include your full name as you would like it to appear in the harmony vocal credits on the album.
Please let me know if you have any questions and THANK YOU for participating!